Vmware tech preview 2017 supports DX10 via Metal (so geometry shaders also!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    oscarbg
    Participant

Interesting to see Vmware Fusion preview 2017 using Metal to emulate up to level DX10 FL10_0(including geo shaders lacking on Metal)..
      from what’s new document:

“Metal Graphics support (Host) – Apple makes available an OpenGL replacement technology called ‘Metal’. The 2017 Fusion Tech Preview leverages this technology to deliver OpenGL and DirectX 10 to a Guest OS”

they say in forums full DX10 profile with geometry shaders so question is:
      can MoltenVK hack something similar to expose Vulkan geometry shader support in your product..
      I’m afraid to repost on SPIR-V Cross the same request but seems some work of this support should be exposed there..

thanks..

Bill Hollings
      Keymaster

@oscarbg

Thanks for raising this.

Where are you reading that geo shaders are supported? The only reference I could find doesn’t seem to indicate that…or at least indicates that if they exist…they have been implemented in some form of middle layer.

If that is the case…I’m not sure we would get into trying to emulate geometry shaders. Geometry shaders are optional under Vulkan.

…Bill

oscarbg
        Participant

In that post https://communities.vmware.com/thread/568286 they say:
          “So far the DX support remains on feature level 10.0”
          so that includes geometry shaders (emulated of course).. sorry if perhaps not made clear that I understand geo shaders is not supported on metal per se but this guys but some “middle layer” tricks have made work under Metal (I may assume as some sort of compute shaders?)..

also understand that MoltenVK has other priorities right now: Metal compute&tess, some more optional cals, Metal2 but perhaps in a year or two when product is more mature you can reevaluate that..

BTW just a question why evaluation mode on IOS is full res on Ipads but limited to 1024 width so low resolution on Macos where have more GPU power to test..
          of logo is ok for people don’t willing to license yet..

thanks..

Bill Hollings
          Keymaster

@oscarbg

I’ve posted a question about geometry shaders to that VMware forum. I’ll be curious about how they are implemented.

There should be no limitation on screen resolution under macOS. Can you identify a case where you are seeing such a limitation?

…Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘MoltenVK Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.