Shader converter: gl_FragDepth and sampler arrays

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    skalarproduktraum
    Participant

Hello MoltenVK team!

First, huge thumbs up for your effort in bringing Vulkan to the Apple ecosystem!

Second, I’m having two slight issues with my shaders, and I’m wondering whether these are issues with your shader converter, or whether I need to change something:

1. The shader converter does not seem to be aware of gl_FragDepth,

<program source>:201:9: error: use of undeclared identifier 'gl_FragDepth'
              gl_FragDepth = Depth;

2. The shader converter also does not seem to be aware of sampler arrays:

<program source>:51:33: error: type 'texture2d<float>' does not provide a subscript operator
              diffuse = ObjectTextures[1].sample(ObjectTextures[1]Smplr, in.VertexData_TexCoord).xyz;

Looking forward to your advise 🙂

Bill Hollings
      Keymaster

@skalarproduktraum

Thanks for identifying the issue with gl_FragDepth. It is indeed not behaving correctly. We have fixed this now…and it will appear in the next release of MoltenVK.

Sampler arrays are new in Metal2 and support for them has not yet been added to MoltenVK. Please look for it later in the year.

…Bill

skalarproduktraum
        Participant

Hey Bill,

thanks for the answer! I guess I’ll use separate samplers instead of an array then.
          Any ETA for both the next release and sampler arrays?

skalarproduktraum
          Participant

Actually, wouldn’t it be easier to convert sampler arrays to a series of single samplers? That’d probably also work then on non-Metal2 OSX’s.

Bill Hollings
            Keymaster

@skalarproduktraum

Support for gl_FragDepth is now available.

Thanks for your suggestion about breaking a sampler array into individual components. We’ll look into that for backward compatibility when we implement the feature. There might be issues with shader conversion from SPIR-V though.

…Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘MoltenVK Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.