Performance issues!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    yincg
    Participant

My APP runs 25FPS per frame before using MetalGL,and runs 21FPS after.
      this running scene contains 707 draw calls, 397034 triangles, 30918656 bytes static textures(PVRTC4).

Please tell me why!

Bill Hollings
      Keymaster

@yincg

MetalGL should certainly not be running slower than native OpenGL ES 2.

Be sure you have read the Performance Considerations section of the README-UserGuide document. In particular, be sure you have configured your Xcode Scheme correctly, as explained there.

…Bill

yincg
        Participant

i do the scheme setting as follows:

yincg
          Participant

@Bill Hollings

Bill Hollings
            Keymaster

@yingcg

It’s hard to determine what’s going on with the amount of information you are providing.

Are you running in Release mode? Metal’s Debug mode is very slow.

If you are still having trouble, ZIP up your Xcode project, upload it to Dropbox (or similar site), post a link to it here, or email the link to support@moltengl.com, and we’ll download your app and have a look at it.

…Bill

yincg
              Participant

As you can see in the picture uploaded. MetalGL VS OpenGLES. why MetalGL’s GPU cost is higher than OpenGLES.

yincg
                Participant

pictures:

yincg
                  Participant

cannot show pictures.
                    OpenGLES: CPU:38.1ms GPU:37.3ms FPS:26
                    MetalGL: CPU:28.2ms GPU:41.7ms FPS:24

and MetalGL spend more times than OpenGLES in most programs.

Bill Hollings
                    Keymaster

@yincg

You are not providing enough information for us to help you. There are many reasons why the application may be running slower, including those answered in your other post. Are you able to post your app somewhere, as requested in the previous post?

In the numbers you do provide above, MetalGL‘s CPU performance is substantially better than OpenGLES, as it should be. MetalGL is designed to improve CPU performance, as discussed in the README-UserGuide document.

From your numbers above, your performance bottleneck appears to be in the shaders. It is possible that the automatic conversion of one or more of your shaders has resulted in inefficient Metal Shading Language (MSL) code. You can tune the shaders once they have been converted to MSL and load them directly as MSL code. An explanation of how to do this is in the README-UserGuide document as well.

…Bill

yincg
                      Participant

Hi, Bill..

i converted all my shader to MSL in developer time,and removed MetalGL framework in Xcode.
                        here is the performance screenshot(OpenGL vs MetalGL):

OpenGL: CPU:31.7ms GPU:38.4ms FPS:25-26
                        MetalGL: CPU:38.1ms GPU:37.3ms FPS:26-27

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘MoltenGL Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.