Get error when load ETC2 texture from KTX file

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tracyma
    Participant

i’m using this function to load ETC2 texture from KTX on the iOS platform. The KTX texture was converted from jpg with PVRTex tool: PVRTexToolCLI.exe -i tex.jpg -o tex.ktx -f ETC2_RGB -q etcfast -m 9

Get the error:

[MTLDebugBlitCommandEncoder
      validateCopyFromBuffer:sourceOffset:sourceBytesPerRow:sourceBytesPerImage:sourceSize:toTexture:destinationSlice:destinationLevel:destinationOrigin:options:]:463: failed assertion `sourceOffset (4) must be a multiple of 8 bytes.’

size of texture is 1024 * 1024, with VK_FORMAT_ETC2_R8G8B8_UNORM_BLOCK format.
      From the Metal document:
      The byte location in the source buffer where the copying starts. The location must be aligned to the size of the destination texture's pixel format. The value must be a multiple of the destination texture's pixel size, in bytes.

Does it mean my sourceOffset should be a multiple of 3 bytes(R8G8B8)?

And when i use ASTC_6x6 format, got error: `sourceOffset (4) must be a multiple of 16 bytes.’

Bill Hollings
      Keymaster

@tracyma

When copying from a buffer to an image using vkCmdCopyBufferToImage(), both Vulkan and Metal require that the bufferOffset value be a multiple of the image element size…which in the case of compressed formats is its block size.

For example…the block sizes for VK_FORMAT_ETC2_R8G8B8_UNORM_BLOCK and VK_FORMAT_ASTC_6x6_UNORM_BLOCK are 8 and 16, respectively…which is why you are seeing those two errors.

From looking at your code sample…given that Metal is complaining about a 4 byte offset…my guess is that your call is expecting that the first 4 bytes of each Mip layer contains the size of the layer…and your function skips those first 4 bytes by incrementing bufferOffset by those 4 bytes. That will then cause bufferOffset to have a value of 4…which is not a multiple of either of the compressed format block sizes you are using.

…Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘MoltenVK Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.