Compiling and running the SachsaWillems examples: black screen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nholzschuch
    Participant

Sorry, this is a beginner question.

So I’ve managed to compile and run the Demos in the MoltenVK/Demos folder. And it produces a picture, as it should (see first screenshot).

As a second step, I’ve tried to move on to the SachsaWillems Vulkan examples. I’ve followed the instructions in README_MoltenVK_Examples.md, installed AssImp. The code compiles (good point) and runs (second good point) but I get a black screen (see second screenshot), except I have text, the MoltenVK splash sprite… but nothing else. I have the same behaviour whether I run on MacOS or iOS, and no visible error messages in the console.

I’ve tried recompiling the shaders with MoltenShaderConverter (no difference). What can I do to debug this?

Bill Hollings
      Keymaster

@Nholzschuch

Sorry that you’re having trouble.

Strange. Does this happen with all of the S-W examples? (the doc you mentioned and the examples.h file explain how to select the example to run).

…Bill

Nholzschuch
        Participant

Yes, exactly the same behaviour with all S-W examples: black screen, text, and the MoltenVK moving sprite. The console looks exactly the same for, say holograms and particlefire:

[mvk-info] MoltenVK version 0.18.2. Vulkan version 1.0.51.
          [mvk-info] GPU device Intel HD Graphics 5000 supports the following Metal Feature Sets:
          OSX GPU Family 1 v2
          OSX GPU Family 1 v1
          [mvk-info] You require a license for the MoltenVK Vulkan Core feature set. Reverting to evaluation mode.
          [mvk-info] Created 2 swapchain images with initial size (1024, 768).

Bill Hollings
          Keymaster

@nholzschuch

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I’m wondering if it is an issue with the Assimp build.

I’ve updated the Brenwill fork of the SW Vulkan repository to include stable compiled Assimp libraries for macOS and iOS. This also drastically simplifies installation of the examples.

Try re-cloning the https://github.com/brenwill/Vulkan.git repository. The only thing you have to do then is update the Vulkan/xcode/MoltenVK symlink (or put your Molten distribution in the same directory as the cloned Brenwill SWVulkan repository.

Let me know if that fixes things.

…Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘MoltenVK Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.