Build errors with Cinder Vulkan using MoltenVK

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    marie
    Participant

I cloned the brenwill Cinder repo:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/brenwill/Cinder.git

and built Cinder:

cd xcode
          ./fullbuild.sh

During installation, I got this error:

ld: file not found: /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/xcode/build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder_vulkan.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/CodeGen.o
          Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ld failed with exit code 1

After this error, I get the messages that a series of build commands failed, all in this vein:

The following build commands failed:
          	CompileC build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder_vulkan.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/CodeGen.o /Khronos/SPIRV/glslang/glslang-bw/glslang/GenericCodeGen/CodeGen.cpp normal x86_64 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
          	CompileC build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder_vulkan.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/Initialize.o /Khronos/SPIRV/glslang/glslang-bw/glslang/MachineIndependent/Initialize.cpp normal x86_64 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
          	CompileC build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder_vulkan.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/intermOut.o /Khronos/SPIRV/glslang/glslang-bw/glslang/MachineIndependent/intermOut.cpp normal x86_64 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler

When I try to run the only xcode sample, FishTornado, I get the error:

No such file or directory: '../../../../lib/libcinder.a'

when running on release configuration and a similar message for '../../../../lib/libcinder_d.a' when trying to run in degub configuration because of course I don’t have these files.

I then tried running

xcodebuild -project cinder.xcodeproj -target cinder -configuration Debug

and got the error

ld: file not found: /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/xcode/build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/Surface-BBAED1CD7DF1B45C.o
          Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ld failed with exit code 1
          Libtool /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/lib/libcinder_d.a normal x86_64
          cd /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/xcode
          export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.8
          /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/libtool -static -arch_only x86_64 -syslibroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.11.sdk -L/Users/mtomasello/Cinder/lib -filelist /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/xcode/build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/cinder_d.LinkFileList -framework AppKit -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -framework QTKit -framework CoreVideo -framework CoreGraphics -framework ApplicationServices -framework ScreenSaver -framework AudioToolbox -framework AudioUnit -framework CoreAudio -o /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/lib/libcinder_d.a
          error: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/libtool: can't open file: /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/xcode/build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder.build/Objects-normal/libcinder_d.a-x86_64-master.o (No such file or directory)
          BUILD FAILED
          The following build commands failed:
          	CompileC build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/Surface-BBAED1CD7DF1B45C.o /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/src/cinder/vk/Surface.cpp normal x86_64 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
          	MasterObjectLink build/cinder.build/Debug/cinder.build/Objects-normal/libcinder_d.a-x86_64-master.o
          	Libtool /Users/mtomasello/Cinder/lib/libcinder_d.a normal x86_64

What am I missing?

Bill Hollings
      Keymaster

@marie

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

There was a configuration error in the submodule configuration for the brenwill/Cinder repository…which has been fixed now.

Please follow the instructions again…including the recursive clone of the brenwill/Cinder repository. It should work now.

Thanks…

…Bill

marie
        Participant

Done! Thanks. Now I get the error

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
            "_OBJC_CLASS_$_MTLFunctionConstantValues", referenced from:
                objc-class-ref in MoltenVK(MoltenVK-x86_64-master.o)
          ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
          clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
          Bill Hollings
          Keymaster

@marie

Hmmm…are you building on Sierra or El Capitan?

MTLFunctionConstantValues was introduced in macOS 10.12 (Sierra).

MoltenVK will run on macOS 10.11…but it is built…and expects to be linked…in macOS 10.12.

…Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘MoltenVK Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.